Wednesday, February 21, 2007

stolen watermelons

When I was a little girl I loved watermelon. My father was a farmer and my uncle was a farmer too. They planted watermelon and grapes. I enjoyed watching them harvest the fruit. One day my older brother said, “uncle’s watermelon is very sweet and it has no seeds.” I said, “yes let’s go get one.” So we walked across our father’s field and climbed over our uncle’s fence. My brother found a good ripe watermelon while I watched him. We climbed back over the fence to our father’s field. My brother opened the watermelon by striking it on a rock. The flesh of the fruit was bright red. It was delicious and I was happy.

3 comments:

Ned C. Gardner said...

Xue Hua,

This is a nice little story. I think you should write an email or a letter to your uncle to tell him that you stole one of his watermelons many years ago. I think he will be quick to forgive you.

Good job.

Ned

Ned C. Gardner said...

Xue Hua...this note is from Joanne.

Dear Xue Hua,

Congratulations on your blogsite! And I loved your story about the watermelons. It reminded me of a famous American poem by a man named William Carlos Williams. The poem is called "This Is Just to Say." Here is the poem:

[This is just to say]
I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

Do you like this poem? Do you see why it made me think of your story? :)
Keep up the good work! --Joanne

tracy said...

dear xue hua

hi my nine is tracy,i ready your "srolen watermlons" today ,i feel your wirte very interrsting and fun ,today,you not here ,i think you take care of your baby,are you say yes or no.